Monday, May 30, 2011

JOY OF WRITING

Just a usual day ( this usual day is every second day nowadays !), when I was searching for a profession that would be soothing to my extra weird and crooked nerves at COB ( Close of Business ). This activity was inspired from an act in a P.G Wodehouse book. Writing is something that has always been gentle to the nerves if not pleasing enough all the time. The times when my writing does not please me is not a great time though, but it happens to all - leading to the greatest writer's blogs ever. Not that I consider myself in the writers’ league but the bads are always contagious I guess ( grandmother’s wisdom of not exposing kids to the bads cannot be all wrong )!! So I started digging into google results for “Tips for web writers/ travel writers”. One of the noted travel writers says that ‘ if you have never travelled out of your country, forget about becoming a travel writer ‘. I am not sure if he has been to India :P.
Sorry for being so critical about this point of view, but India is so diverse in terms of culture, language, foodonomics, occupational hazards, success, struggle, beauty, geography that I feel one can become a travel writer without having stepped out of India. Too much to inspire writers to form a new literary sector !!


Just back from my date with Meghalaya, I cannot stop smiling. Someone definitely quoted it right “ Travelling is like flirting with life”. Its always a ‘I would love to stay but have to leave situation’ !! Meghalaya has beautiful people, inspiring flora, a kingfisher ( Company in India known for producing beer for the masses) lounge with comfy couches with the view of the city - it was called Cloud #9, the cleanest village in Asia as per BBC survey - MAWLYNNONG, a living tree-roots bridge, sacred forests, a traditional dress called jaison, great Chinese food, breathtaking views of the Bangladesh plains, optimally used bamboo, waterfalls with funky rocks, a route to a village that made me feel like Alice in Wonderland, even more beautiful Khasi people. I think this fling with Meghalaya did a lot to me, would love to stay there for a year and see more. Even as an 11 year old, I always wanted to go to Meghalaya, the colored political map of India always had Meghalaya filled in with a beautiful green; and indeed all you see is green colour before landing from the aircraft. I am definitely going back for more!!

Apart from the 3 universal inspirations- travelling, music and food; its always people who give me a kick to write ( literally they help me sit down with my lappy/ iPhone / whatever other mode is available to access my google docs and continue !!! ). I just love to pen down what a meeting does to my oddly graphed thought procedure for a while!! If I were a photographer, I would click just people I think.

quote : Life is a buffet, no ala-carte please!!!
I am not sure how many of you would agree with this!!


Note: Alcohol leads to confusion; I am hoping that quitting it would lead to some focus that I so so need !

No comments: